Sign in to follow this  
Lord Drakkon

The future of Power Rangers

What do you think the future of Power Rangers is looking like?

Do you think there is superhero fatigue a bit? 

What direction do you think the series should go?

I see the TV series continuing as it has with no real big changes. We will continue to have Boom Comics and toys. . I wouldn't be surprised if they tried another film at some point. The brand should continue as is. 

I think they'll continue it for as long as they think it's financially viable. If the toys do well, the show will continue. 

However it won't run forever. That much is certain. At some point for whatever reason it will end. 

My concern is that the show really hasn't been bringing much new to the table. The movie was just a re-write of MMPR, the fondest and arguably the most popular version of the series. They keep tapping into that well because of it's popularity. 

They could re-boot it again and modify the same story again, but it's still just MMPR. 

The movie was basically a darker MMPR with some of the traits from other PR series like Dino Thunder and Ninja Storm thrown in to help better flesh things out.

It's been around for a long time and will likely be around for a while longer at least. 

It's not easy to translate a Sentai season to become Power Rangers as some of the characters and costumes may come across as too stupid or crazy and wouldn't work well with audiences outside of Japan.

People have a million ideas on how they could improve PR, such as make an original season. On paper this could sound cool. But in execution it's a dud.

The Power Rangers Universe is rather large but the plot holes are many and the continuity is all over the place. If they could find a way on the show to better tie things together and answer some of the bigger questions that would help. But we know that's not gonna happen.

A new movie could help do that. Which is what this one was trying to do. But alas people didn't see the movie in droves or like hoped for, so a sequel right now is uncertain. 

Part of the issue has been trying to please older fans while attracting new ones. What may work for the older fans may be off putting to younger ones. It's a tough balance. What might be cool nostalgia for us, to someone new may be confusing and out of place if not downright weird. 

IMO the PR Universe needs an overarching theme. Right now it's just a bunch of stand alone series not really connecting to previous seasons. Whereas up until In Space it was all better tied together and had a better narrative. That's something they should go back to IMO.

Going back to the seasons being tied together better might require Saban to bring out more money and that's not happening. MMPR had 60, 52 and 43 episodes in its individual seasons, Zeo had 50 and so on. Anything from Lightspeed to Wild Force had 40 episodes and anything NZ-produced under Disney was also a single-year season. So to get the seasons tied together better, PR would need to go back to single year season format, which means the series would either need to give up the 40 episodes format and go back to the 32 episode format in order to ensure better continuity connections and the team-up episodes between the current and previous year's team. That's not happening either because so far, the Nickelodeon contract has been working for Saban pretty well. The team-up spot has been taken over by the "Super" part of the seasons. It makes the show more affordable to produce. Plus there's Nick's "20 episodes per season" rule. 

So unless Saban finds another network which would be a good outlet for Power Rangers that would allow for the show to go back to a single-year season format, I don't see continuity being maintained, at least not the way it used to be. But that's also something called "Clash of the Red Rangers" and "Legendary Battle", which are both MINI CROSSOVERS, but it's still better than nothing. 

I think it would be a good idea to stidk with the same case for a few different seasons. Megaforce kind of did this, even though it was two shorter seasons.  They seem to have resisted doing multi season Ranger team so I wouldn't expect them too. Unless its another Megaforce situation.