Sign in to follow this  
Mesogog

Power Rangers star still hopeful of a sequel

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/12/power-rangers-star-still-hopeful-sequel/

Prior to the release of Power Rangers, it was reported that Lionsgate had big hopes for the reboot, and was looking at making up to seven movies based upon the long-running TV franchise.

Unfortunately, a $142 million worldwide gross from a budget of $100 million appears to have put those plans to rest; however, speaking to The Wrap, actor Dacre Montgomery – who played the Red Ranger – has revealed that he and the cast are still hopeful of a sequel.

“I think that cast, we’re like family — we have a little group chat — we all would love to do a sequel. I know we’d all be there in a heartbeat and if something does come through the woodwork, which I’m not suggesting it wouldn’t — I actually don’t think it’s out of sight, but if it does, we’d be very excited to do a sequel.”

Given the film’s underperformance theatrically, it would certainly be a surprise if a sequel did get the green light. That being said, the film has been a moderate success on home-video, while the movie did lead to a big jump in toy sales for the brand, so perhaps another movie is not entirely out of the question.

My take:

The movie may have underperformed but it wasn't a failure. With the introduction of the new Green Ranger and Lord Zedd it could fuel more intense and larger scale battles. In turn if done well enough it could create a resurgence of the Power Ranger movies. 

However some issues would need to be addressed in the next movie for that to happen. 

IMO Tommy Oliver should still be a guy. HOWEVER, a girl could work too. The problem is trying to get past the idea from the show that Tommy needs to be a guy which could prove difficult. 

My belief is that a sequel should be made. This movie wasn't a failure. Chances are still good if done properly that a sequel could succeed. 

I say green light the sequel.

I am also a backer on greenlighting the sequel. As another one of the older fans, I can honestly say it was just as huge if not slightly bigger than the original since its based off Saban's original concept of making it with the core five originals.

17 hours ago, Mesogog said:

The movie may have underperformed but it wasn't a failure. With the introduction of the new Green Ranger and Lord Zedd it could fuel more intense and larger scale battles. In turn if done well enough it could create a resurgence of the Power Ranger movies. 

However some issues would need to be addressed in the next movie for that to happen IMO Tommy Oliver should still be a guy. HOWEVER, a girl could work too. The problem is trying to get past the idea from the show that Tommy needs to be a guy which could prove difficult. 

My belief is that a sequel should be made. This movie wasn't a failure. Chances are still good if done properly that a sequel could succeed. 

I agree that regardless of the movie underperforming I still think a sequel should be made just because of the movie and merchandise sales.

I think Tommy being a female would be fine BUT if they go with that then they need a male partner for her much like they would need a female partner for a male Tommy. I think it'd be nice to break the trend by having 3 male Rangers and 3 female Rangers.

2 hours ago, KNavarro said:

I am also a backer on greenlighting the sequel. As another one of the older fans, I can honestly say it was just as huge if not slightly bigger than the original since its based off Saban's original concept of making it with the core five originals.

as am I. I wasn't exactly crazy about the movie due to some of its problems but it was a decent movie that deserves a chance at a sequel.

I liked the darker tone but damn, even I couldn't believe how dark some of the it was.

Rita killing a guy and extracting his teeth then using them in her staff. Nope, nothing crazy going on there.

Or right away when that kid at the beginning claims he milked the cow...but the cow was a bull. Or Zach saying his 'morphs in the shower'. Nope, not another masturbation innuendo there. lol

I like the darker tones but for a kids show that also is meant to appease older fans, some of the stuff probably could have been either made less obvious or only hinted at. That Rita stuff was next level. HOWEVER if its too dark it'll turn parents off and won't make them want their kids to go see it. 

I loved Alpha though. And Zordon starting off being selfish, who knew? LOL. But he only was looking for retribution and to stop Rita himself because of his own personal agenda and vendetta against her. 

The sequel should also plant the seeds for future Ranger teams and/or Power Rangers from other teams. To the point it becomes one big crossover with surprises.

I call for a sequel!

I didn't mind the darker tone. I actually don't remember that scene with Rita killing a guy but I thought she was pretty brutal with invading Trini's personal space by going into Trini's room and on top of which she tried choking the life out of her.

I do agree that some of the stuff was a bit much. I do agree that the sequel should plant the seeds for future teams but also characters and villains the question is how they would handle Zeo since in their universe removing the Crystal would cause the destruction of the planet.

The movie wasn't supposed to be a kids movie. It chased the same audience Marvel Movies, Transformers, and Star Wars chases. Which also includes children into the equation, in a amazing way. I do agree you don't want to scare kids or their parents away. Which is why this wasn't rated R. I do think they need to do a better job of selling this to the older and younger audiences. Although I would hope home video sales would help to show people why this movie  franchise is worth their time.

I think there is definitely room for a sequel. Your still relying on rhe same brand name even if you reboot. So you might as well stick with the current franchise and making it work. Rebooting would just confuse people anyway. And I really think the movie was better than the reviews and box office numbers it received. The budget would have to be kept in line again to make this a go though. 

Edited by PRangerX