4 members have voted

1. 1. The future of PRE

• Keep it around but stay the same
    • Keep it around but do something different
    • Close it down and move on
    • Unsure/Undecided
    • I'll just comment below

18 posts in this topic

No matter what I've done the past year, PRE has simply not gained any traction. Heck, even the shoutbox which used to always be busy, hasn't had but only one person other than me say anything in it, and that was only once, since I brought it back. The forums are just as dead. 

I've went multiple avenues to try and improve things but absolutely nothing has worked. Literally days go by without so much as a post...let alone any new threads.

What should be the future of PRE? Take the poll and comment below and let me know.

6 hours ago, Mesogog said:

What should be the future of PRE? Take the poll and comment below and let me know.

I think you've had a fun ride, but the public is telling you what they want.  PRE's time has past.

When you really think about it, there's no need for multiple websites that perform the same function.  To appeal to the public, you have to provide a need that isn't being fulfilled.

Focus on what Power Rangers fans need.

• Like 1

What Primo said. When I opened my own forum many years ago, I knew I needed to offer something different than what all the other forums were offering something. So I had song downloads, poor quality, so anyone who REALLY wanted a song would buy it. And we had a wiki for a while. Unfortunately it wasn't enough. That forum has since changed hands, and is now focusing more on anime and manga, more specifically of The Guyver.

TLDR: If you ain't offering anything new, or advertising the fact, people will stick with what they know.

• Like 1

A few more things I wanted to say earlier, but I was rushed for time.

- No one trusts you anymore. You don't burn bridges by repeatedly closing the forum & uprooting what members are comfortable with by repeatedly changing software platforms. In the world of Admins, even 1 platform change has been known to destroy communities. When you're upset at a service provider, you switch to another. And that's exactly what's happened.

- What have you done to attract new users? You used to advertise and poach members from RB from when PRE started. There's no sign of you advertising there now. They do have an Advertising section.

- Your board designs are terrible and tone deaf. In this day & age, everyone wants dark mode. You keeps using bright designs with ugly banners.

I hope you can appreciate this honesty, and take it as positive criticism.

• Like 1

I hate to say it - but DekaRed is right. While the forum platform switches might have been a thing in the past and at least kept some of the discussion on the board going, that's long gone by now. 

Mes, you need to decide which forum platform you want to use to run your forum on. PRE needs to start offering something other PR-based boards don't have. I have already talked to you about this in anther forum update thread. I can't find the thread now, but if you have it stored somewhere, I suggest you to read it. Personally, I wouldn't mind if you went beyond Power Rangers. 

I already have with my board. Infact, I dropped the Power Rangers theme and direction altogether on my board and went RPG and fan fiction.  

You need to get the people's trust back. That isn't going to happen with constant morphs from forum platform to forum platform. 

If you can't think of anything good alone, find someone to help you out. I'm sure some of us have used an Administrator CP at least  once.  We might have good ideas too .

Like DekaRed's post, let this post be positive criticism.

• Like 2

PRE re-opened in the fall of 2017.

During that time I did one board switch. From IPB to Xenforo late October 2018.

The reason for that? The same reason I made this thread. So that's no longer the problem.

Nothing I did with the forum prior to the switch did anything to change anything and that was with multiple themes, more features, more content, more promotion, etc.

I switched back to IPB because well, no one even noticed I changed to begin with other than just a few. 

The problem I see is that things have changed across the board. That's why Rangercrew shut it's doors and become Power Rangers Now.

I mean, if for example a site like Power Rangers Now posts news on a new PR related item, it's across all PR sources and social media within a short period of time.

So why would someone want to talk about that same thing across all PR forums and social media? Most don't. 

Even Rangerboard is struggling. They have about 50,000 members and are lucky if 10% of them are actually posting. Their activity has dropped too.

I post threads looking for help and get zero responses. 

I post threads looking for ideas and are lucky to get 1 or 2 people posting. 

Believe it or not, this is the most active a thread has been since PRE re-opened in the fall of 2017. 

The problem is, what could possibly be offered that isn't offered elsewhere that actually would get attention? 

PRE has a dark theme. As well I don't believe the theme color be it dark or white is the main issue. Power Rangers Now is white across the board and has tons of activity and new members and is very popular.

I've promoted across Facebook and Twitter to no avail.

Rangerboard generally doesn't allow or never allowed PRE promotion on their forum after everything years ago with them.

So what's there to offer? The are tons of toy review YouTube pages.

Video clips? Same.

Episodes? Netflix or the official pages.

Bios? Official website and countless fan pages.

Up to date news? Pick an official social media account or Power Rangers Now.

Images? Almost no one uses a gallery anymore with Google images and countless other sources.

Music? Apple Music and Spotify.

And on and on.

Even if PRE wouldn't have went away or changed software. Even if it would have stuck around, it wouldn't have changed the rise of social media.

https://www.powerrangersnow.com/rangercrew-forums-close/

This is part of the article that sticks out and is true.

"This decision was made solely as a result of traditional message board forums having fallen by the wayside, as technology continues to evolve, and consumer habits continue to shift in favor of commodities that are either more capable, or more convenient.

RangerCrew was never one of those websites that could tout having 50,000 members (49,500 of which are inactive, 48,000 of which haven’t signed on in ages, and 40,000 of which have never posted), but for many it was still a place to call home. It is these fans that I both apologize to and thank for their contributions, but I encourage them to join us on social media.

Social media has become the ultimate communication and fan engagement platform that has uprooted traditional message board forums. For proof, imagine a website that promotes having 50,000 members, but struggles to crack 50 votes on an episode poll."

So what next? What can possibly be done that's not already being done?

When PRE first launched it was a drastically different online world.

There was no YouTube. No Facebook. No Netflix or Spotify. It was the wild west if you wanted to view a Power Ranger episode offline or use pics for your projects. 

Rangercrew was born from PRE. I helped with it behind the scenes for a period and was one of the first members before it even opened.

In turn that eventually gave rise to Power Rangers Now. 

Would things have been different for PRE if it had stuck around? Maybe. But honestly long term I don't think so. 

The question is, what can be done that's not already being done but would actually gain traction amongst the fandom?

12 minutes ago, Mesogog said:

Even Rangerboard is struggling. They have about 50,000 members and are lucky if 10% of them are actually posting. Their activity has dropped too.

Images? Almost no one uses a gallery anymore with Google images and countless other sources.

The question is, what can be done that's not already being done but would actually gain traction amongst the fandom?

RB's activity has only dropped among users who were posting purely to call attention to themselves.  Actual conversations have only improved as a result.

And Power Rangers pictures are SCARCE.  Only the Viewing Globe website ever had anything other than the same standard morph sequence and roll call screenshots that turn up on a Google Image Search.

The question is what you actually want to do, because that and what will gain traction might be completely different things.  But there is always a need to be addressed if you spend enough time immersed in the culture.

• Like 1

I've been looking. Trying to figure it out. 

I've had no problem finding images using a combination of sources and ways. But just because there are images, doesn't mean most of them are what a person is looking for either. 

RBs activity has dropped for multiple reasons though I don't doubt that's one of the reasons. It's not just RB but all PR forums though. 

And one has to be careful not to get flagged by Hasbro for possible copyright infringement either on the things they use. Back in the day that was a worry too that did affect people that may have went too far.

When PRE had downloads of episodes and music back in the day it was a gamble that was protected by fine lines and lots of grey area. Honestly PRE got lucky back then.

There are some things that can be used but one still has to be careful. 

The other problem is that just because something new or different is offered doesn't mean it'll gain traction and do well. It's always a gamble. Even if it's a decent idea.

I'm aware a forum may not be enough or that something else may need to be done.

That's why they ditched Rangercrew as a forum and switched to Wordpress and become Power Rangers Now. Promoting news with a comment plug in and using social media to promote the website. 

It's essentially a different approach to the same thing. They could have posted the same news on a forum and used that for comments but didn't. 

That all being said what does everyone feel the fandom is missing that may be beneficial to it? 

Because looking around it seems to have a lot of the bases covered. And covered by many different sources and angles.

6 hours ago, Mesogog said:

That all being said what does everyone feel the fandom is missing that may be beneficial to it?

Picture galleries...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PrimoPiccolo said:

Picture galleries...

I've considered that. 

However the problem is when I've used a picture gallery as part of the forum, including last year and into this year, and even a posted a bunch of pics that were high quality, no one else helped contribute.

And I can't say anyone even used any of them. 

I'm not shooting down the idea. I'm just not sure how much fans actually use it or want it since past efforts haven't exactly panned out with it.

Look, Mes, if things are standing like how you say they do, then you only have two options:

1. Give PRE to someone else who can come up with fresh ideas and also a new face to stand behind the board. 

1a. Get someone to work with you on PRE in order to pull some new blood to the board.

OR

2. Close the board. 

Of course, I'm not up for the option no.#2. But if you can get someone to work with you on the board, that might pull in some fresh blood around here.  But for me, the main first option sounds the best. It wouldn't hurt PRE to go trough an owner change with you being still a part of it in some form.

Honestly, I can't think what else to say or suggest. 

For those that have contributed feedback both good and bad, thank you. Much of the stuff that was mentioned I was already aware of. But I honestly do appreciate the time you all took letting me know how you felt and what you thought.

I'm still pondering what direction to take PRE. Some of the stuff that was mentioned such as possibly handing it over to someone else, changing from PR to something else, getting help, better themes, different content, etc in the past year I've tried with almost zero luck.

About 1 1/2 yrs ago I brought PRE back from the dead. I originally started with the forum software you see now. But after a year of almost nothing happening no matter what I did, I decided to switch to Xenforo. Sometimes switching forum software DOES help. And I figured, "What else do I have to lose at this point.". The software itself is fine, but didn't help or change anything. I tried a new domain, powerrangers.tv with it for the same reason of "what else do I have left to lose?". 

After about 5 months I switched everything back. Those were the only noticeable changes in the past 1 1/2 years. Now if the forum had been busier none of that simply put would have happened. But that hasn't been the case and sometimes shaking things up works. This wasn't that case.

@DekaRed I agree 100% with what you've said. The times have changed since PRE was what it was. The very things that used to be unavailable years ago such as social media, streaming services, etc. are now easily available. Rangercrew completely dumped the forum format and turned into Power Rangers Now and that's worked out for them well for the moment. 

PRE needs to re-invent itself. But that's a challenge given that 

@PrimoPiccolo I've looked into the gallery stuff like you mentioned. That's something I would have to look deeper into. Mainly because of storage space for the pictures, how they would be separated but easily available to find, and to filter out low quality images. Plus where to and how to get those images. I'll continue looking into it to see if there is something viable to work with both in terms of software and images and storage space. Right now, I just dunno. 

@Mnikolic I've tried your suggestions in the past year with zero luck. But trying to find the right format is tricky. 

If I want to watch PR clips I can just go to Youtube. 
If I want to look for PR images I can use Google Images or countless other image sources. In some case it might take some work but isn't impossible to find what I want.

If I want the latest PR news I can visit Google News or Power Rangers Now.

If I want to discuss PR I can visit Rangerboard, PRE or countless other forums or I can on Facebook or respond on various news websites and social media sources.

If I want to watch full episodes I can buy the DVD boxsets or watch them on Netflix.

The list goes on. 

I do have some ideas but I have zero clue how to implement them properly at this time. But the space is getting rather full. And people usually stick with their favorites making it harder, but not impossible, for others to compete. 

I have mad respect for all 3 of you. Seriously. You've been around since the early days. And just stopping in to give your input is greatly appreciated!

You're welcome. 

I really hope that you find a way to bring PRE back in its full glory. Maybe turn it into a website of some sorts with the board being integrated into it? I think you should really learn from Power Rangers Now, see and follow what they're doing and come up with your own concept. I don't know what else to suggest. 

5 hours ago, Mnikolic said:

You're welcome. 

I really hope that you find a way to bring PRE back in its full glory. Maybe turn it into a website of some sorts with the board being integrated into it? I think you should really learn from Power Rangers Now, see and follow what they're doing and come up with your own concept. I don't know what else to suggest. 

Actually I'm currently doing some big behind the scenes testing.

Where I think Power Rangers Now went wrong is eliminating the forum. I mean, I partially understand why they did it. It's a lot of upkeep and maintenance.

However what they should have done is integrate it with WordPress rather than use a cheap comment plug in. I've been looking for some time on how to do that properly as it's normally pretty difficult to pull off.

IPB, the forum software I'm using for PRE, has the ability to easily integrate with Wordpress. What this means is that if you log into IPB it will work on WordPress and vice versa and you lose nothing. Which means you can seamlessly use both softwareas if they are the same software. It's pretty cool. 

But I want to use it to enhance the forum as well. My biggest hurdle is getting a handle on how to use Wordpress. There is A LOT to learn. 

Currently my goal is to merge WordPress and the forum into a rather seemless experience without duplication. 

However because they share different backends there are a few hoops to jump through first. And this way if I ever wanted to unbundle them I can without members being affected.

I'm not entirely sure I'm going this route yet. I may choose another route to go because I don't want to be considered just a Power Rangers Now clone or something. I want PRE to forge its own path.

A new skin is coming TONIGHT I think you guys will like.

Most importantly, it's a dark skin! Check back shortly as it will become the default skin!

20 hours ago, Mnikolic said:

How come it's giving me an error each time when I try to view a thread on the dark skin?

BTW it looks great. 😄

Can you screen snap the error or let me know what it says? I'm not experiencing that problem. And thanks! :)

Here you go. This is what I get. It might be due to me using an older version of Mac OS, since my Late 2009 White MacBook decided that it hates the newer versions of mac OS.

I sure hope the error isn't showing because I'm on 10.7 and Safari 6.1.6.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 19.15.02.png